Wednesday, May 18, 2011

... and not a drop to drink!

Hi, everyone.  My name is Keith. I'm a former U.S. Marine and a very "non-typical" undergrad student.  That's just a politically correct way saying I'm old.  Frankly, I would just as soon be called an old guy!  I'm not real sensitive about my age.  I'm a Junior majoring in Environmental Studies and Policy.  I'm originally from a small town in extreme SW Ga called Blakley (no, not Bleckley County).
     During our electronic summer together, I would like to take a "big picture"look at the world's water issues and consider the most practical and effective approach to minimizing its impact on impoverished and developing economies as well as our own nation and other developed areas of the global community.  My approach would usually center on the local or regional aspects of the water problem.  I think we have too many "bleeding hearts" that think the nearest problem that is worth their precious time is somewhere thousands of miles away while they ignore the plight of their own neighbors.  I would like for us to consider the global prospective.  That includes us, too, ya know!
     Air and water are vital to human life.  In my opinion, that makes clean water a human rights issue.  When one person deprives another person of air to the point of death, we call it murder.  Isn't it the same thing when a person is systematically deprived of water.  That happens all over the world on a daily basis!
     Prominent Canadian activist Maude Barlow recently discussed the water woes in Atlanta and the drought that is affecting the southeastern U. S..  Read the short article at http://www.alternet.org/water/76819/ where Ms. Barlow addresses this issue.



1 comment:

  1. This is great Keith,
    You're becoming a blog expert! Also, I can see the thumbtack on the river.

    ReplyDelete